Celebrate the unconditional bond this Bhai Dooj
After the power – packed celebration of Diwali – the festival of lights and peace, sisters of India are preparing themselves to celebrate their love for brothers. Bhai Dooj is one of the prominent Hindu festivals, which is celebrated after Goverdhan Puja. This year, Bhai Dooj will be celebrated on October 21. It is known by various names in different regions of country like Bahu Beej, Bhai Teeka or Bhai Phota. The festival is similar to Raksha Bhandan, as it celebrates sister- brother bond.
On this day, women call their brothers home and apply tika or tilak on their foreheads and offer prayers to god for their well –being.
There are many stories behind the celebration of Bhai Dooj. According to some, Yamraj, the god of death this day visited his sister on this day. His sister Yami, who is also known as Yamuna, welcomed him with an aarti , and after applying tilak on his forehead, she offered sweets to him. In return, he presented her with a gift.
On the other hand some say, on this day Lord Krishna’s sister Subhadra welcomed him with aarti, tilak and sweets after he killed the demon King Naraksur.
Here are few things that you can do this year to make your brother feel special:
- Take him out for a movie: As Golmaal 4 has already hit the theatres, you can take him out on a movie date.
- Buy him his favorite gadget: You can gift him his favorite gadget to see that instant smile on his face.
- Cook good food for him: It’s Saturday so you both can just chill at home. Cook his favourite food to strengthen your bond.
- Go for shopping: T- shirts, shoes or wallet. Whatever you feel like gifting him, just take him with you to make the correct choice.
- Gift him holiday tickets : You may gift him tickets of any exotic destination where he can go and relax for two- three days ( If he is a traveler)
Happy Bhai Dooj everyone!