Nirmala Sitharaman, the new Defence Minister has created history
Well, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reshuffled his cabinet yesterday. Narendra Modi’s cabinet has six women ministers, of whom India’s newly appointed Defence Minister, has just created history. Yes, she has created the history and we are saying so because Nirmala Sitharaman is India’s first woman full-time Defence Minister. Before her, former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi held the Defence portfolio as an additional charge on two occasions.
So, here are few things about Nirmala Sitharaman that we should know!
1. Born on August 18, 1959, in Madurai, Sitharaman hails from a middle-class family. Her father, Narayanan Sitharaman worked in the Railways while her mother, Savitri, was a homemaker and a great lover of books. Due to her father’s transfers she had spent her childhood across different areas of Tamil Nadu.
2. Sitharaman graduated from Seethalakshmi Ramasamy College, Tiruchirappalli and went on to join the Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi from where she completed her masters in Economics.
3. Her education does not come to end here. She pursued her PhD dissertation on Indo-European textile trade as well.
4. Sitharaman married Parakala Prabhakar in 1986 and moved to London, where she worked at Pricewaterhouse Cooper as a Senior Manager. Dr Parakala Prabhakar is also an alumnus of Jawaharlal Nehru University and London School of Economics. The couple has a daughter.
5. Sitharaman also worked at the BBC World Service for a short while before returning to India in 1991.
6. Apart from this in year 2003, Sitharaman was made a member of the National Commission for Women (NCW) in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government. She remained an NCW member till 2005. A year later, in 2006, Nirmala joined the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP).
7. Because of her exceptional talent she got quick success in politics. And now, she is our Defence Minister. She has created history and has set an example for millions of women out there.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com