5 Sports You Probably Didn’t Know Existed
There are all kinds of sports in the world. Some very popular ones like Football, Cricket, Lawn Tennis and some which don’t have that big a spectator following. Then there are games which are played in a few countries and are only followed by the people of that country and then there are these sports which you probably have never even heard of.
1. Karate Volleyball- Well, it’s not really called Karate Volleyball though that is what it could be called anyway, but the real name of the game is Seepak Takraw. This sport is mainly played in Southeast Asia. The game is like a mixture of football, badminton and volleyball. Where the main objective is to make the ball drop in the opponents side of the court.
2. Underwater hockey- Hockey is already a brutal game with hundreds of hockey players going to the emergency room each year. But sometimes that isn’t enough. Some people thought it would be better to add water and the potential danger of drowning in the game as well. The rules of the game still stay similar but the only difference being that instead of the long hockey sticks, people use banana sized sticks made of wood or plastic to move the puck around the bottom of the pool. This game didn’t quite catch on since watching the ripples in water isn’t that interesting for some people.
3. Extreme ironing – Yes! That is the game and no it’s not just for women. The people who play this sport usually go to some remote location and iron their clothes in places like on extreme altitudes, underwater, hanging from a cliff and while surfing. The people who do this call themselves as the ‘Ironists’ and are proud of their physical endurance and neat shirts.
4. Wife Carrying – This sport has its origins set in Finland. The sport is fairly simple. There is an obstacle course where a couple enters the race and the husband has to pick up his wife upside down and run through the course. Mostly people are able to finish the course but the winner of the contest gets the best prize of all. He would get the beer equivalent to his wife’s weight.
5. Blind Soccer – This is probably the craziest sport ever. The game is as it sounds. Football is the most watched sport in the world and has millions of followers which increase every day. This is an amazing sport which gives disabled people a chance to get out of their comfort zones and explore a new activity.