2 G scam verdict: 5 important highlights
The verdict of India’s biggest telecom scam, the 2G scam, has been finally delivered. Former Telecom Minister A Raja, M Kanimozhi and 15 other were acquitted today of all the charges. Notably, the court has said that there was no evidence available against any of the accused. As per reports, the verdict was delayed as hundreds of supporters of A Raja tried to enter the court, causing security problems.
Here are top 5 highlights of the most talked scam of India
- According to Mr. Raja’s lawyer, the judge just read out the operative part: “I have no hesitation in holding that the prosecution has miserably failed to prove the charges and all the accused are acquitted of the charges.
- Notably, the Supreme Court had earlier canceled all the licenses Mr. Raja had issued. The 2G trial began in 2011, an after the national auditor said in its report that there had been massive irregularities in the allocation of the second generation.
- Raja had denied that he accepted bribes from telecoms in 2007- 2008 to issue them out – of -turn licenses at below-market prices. 2G airwaves were bundled with the licenses at no extra cost.
- Mr . Raja, who is from Tamil Nadu was arrested in Year 2011 and spent nearly one year before getting bail.
- The 2G Scam was among the major corruption scandals that came into light during the second term of Dr. Manmohan Singh’s coalition government.
On this decision, BJP leader Subramanian Swamy, the man who exposed the multi-crore 2 G spectrum scam has given his reaction. He has said that the government must immediately file an appeal against the acquittal of all accused in the nearly decade-old case.
Have a news story, an interesting write-up or simply a suggestion? Write to us at email@example.com